If we confess our sings he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9 [emphasis added]I've seen this verse so much over the course of my life. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding why God would forgive me of a sin I've committed multiple times. For instance, I get irritated at work. It has happened more than once, believe it or not. Will God really forgive me of every time I've been irritated and sinned?
According to 1 John 1:9, God is not only faithful but he is JUST. Here are a couple of definitions of something/someone that is just (adjective):
- Guided by truth, reason, justice and fairness
- Legally valid; lawful
- Given or awarded rightly; deserved, as a sentence punishment, or reward
I haven't read the books, but I know enough that this makes sense to me (and yes I plan to read the series once life slows down some). For all of you Hunger Games fans, think about Katniss offering herself as tribute for Primrose. She took Prim's place in the games so that Prim she wouldn't have to face that punishment. Katniss serves the punishment of fighting in the games.
It's the same with Jesus. He eternally took my place so that I wouldn't have to face God's punishment. I never have to serve my sentence. God sees Jesus when he sees me because Jesus' blood covers my sins. Since God is just, he has to forgive me not matter what. He has no choice.
I'm thankful that God is true to his word, and that his character doesn't change. I'm thankful that Jesus paid my penalty so I could be in relationship with God. I'm thankful that the Word is living and teaches me something new no matter how many times I've read or heard the verse.
No comments:
Post a Comment