Sunday, November 11, 2012

Happy Veterans Day

Happy Veterans Day! If it weren't for two veterans, I would not be here. 

My dad's dad (Air Force) was stationed in Japan when he met my grandma.  From what Oba has told me, he was the officer in charge of checking up with the Japanese police office after the war.  Oba was the secretary at the police office, and all her colleagues didn't like John talking with her.  Even though Oba was 6 years his senior and she didn't know much (if any) English, they fell in love and got married.  While on active duty in Japan, John got leukemia.  He was brought back to the U.S. and passed a couple months before my dad was born.

Pappaw was in the Navy during World War II (before he and Mimi were married).  His ship was in the Pacific.  I absolutely love listening to his stories.  He has one specific story that makes me laugh.  When Pappaw's boat passed a certain spot in the Pacific (I believe it was the International Date Line), he was told he had to get his ear pierced!! I don't think he kept it for long.

There's something about the military that brings so much emotion.  The veterans were asked to salute during the Star Spangled Banner at the Byrnes game on Friday.  I looked around at the respect, and yet somberness, on their faces.  I can't imagine what these men and women have seen over the course of their lives.  Brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you Pappaw, John, all the other veterans, and current and future military personnel.  We so appreciate your service and sacrifices.

Veterans being honored at the NGU game on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment