Monday, November 12, 2012

Chronicles of a Coach's Wife: I Survived

Well, I survived my very first football season as a coach's wife. While it definitely was not easy, there was so much reward.  The season was rough in the beginning, with NGU going 0-5.  It was pretty tense at the house, but Brett and I are a team so we hung on.

Anyway, Saturday was senior day and military appreciation day.  I knew it would be an emotional day, as Brett started coaching at NGU the same time this class of young men started.  The seniors and their families were honored before the game.  Brett even wheeled Jonathon out onto the field (he broke his tibia during last week's game and had surgery on Thursday).

AJ, Alice, and James. Love AJ's sweet mom.
Nolan and his family.
Wheeling Jonathon out
Sharpe and his family.
Love AJ's smile here. Special man.


NGU ended up beating Virginia University of Lynchburg 10-3.  The defense got three interceptions.  After each interception, the defender who caught it ran the ball over to Jonathon.   If there was one word to describe this year's team, it would be tenacity.  Even though they were plagued with injuries and went 0-5 to start the season, the team and coaches bounced back and continued to believe in the system and each other.  They bonded tighter through the trials and it showed at the end of the season.  The Jonathon event is just one little sign of their solidarity.  NGU's win on Saturday meant they finished the season on a 4-game winning streak, and won 5 of the last 6.  They were just short of .500 with a season record of 5-6.

Love my coach.
Brett with a lot of the seniors.

Brett with Jonathon (and one of the footballs from an interception).
AJ and Brett.

I am so proud of this team and these coaches.  I am honored to have been a part of the journey... it really was a journey.  Now onto recruiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment