Friday, November 9, 2012

Chronicles of a Coach's Wife: Hanging on and Letting Go

On Wednesday night, we had over the senior defensive players since this weekend is the last game.  I knew most of the players by number, if not by name.  This senior class is especially important to Brett:. They are the first class that Brett has coached all four years.  Brett's first year at NGU was their first year.

Brett wanted to do something special for them so I made some homemade lasagna and cheesecake.The guys ate the food but left a little too much cheesecake left for me to eat.  I will blame the next 5 pounds I gain on them.  This group of seniors gets along so well.  They sat for about an hour just reminiscing and laughing about the past four years.  It was like getting a little glimpse into their lives and their relationships with each other and my husband. I loved witnessing that.

Of the eight players that came over, Brett has been the position coach for one of them for all four years: AJ.  AJ was one of three players that we invited to our wedding (all three players came).  I didn't expect it, but he and his family drove from southern South Carolina to Raleigh to help us celebrate.  His parents are the sweetest, most devoted parents.  They go to every single game.  AJ is such a polite, kind young man.  I know he will always hold a special place in Brett's heart.

Tomorrow is senior day. I know I've only been a coach's wife for one season, but I have been emotionally invested in these men for three seasons.  It will be hard for me to see them play their last game, but I know there is a time for everything, including letting go and seeing them into the next stage of their lives.  I have grown to love these young men.  I hope they keep in touch with Brett (and me through the process).  I'm sure tomorrow will be a very emotional day for the players, families, and coaches.  I'll post some pictures about that early next week.  For now, enjoy the picture of Brett and the seniors on defense!



No comments:

Post a Comment