Like with Paige, Kim and I have an unusual beginning to our friendship (sorry Kim, I have to share this story again). I knew of Kim in 2001. Our first interaction was in 2003. I was on the high school yearbook staff and was writing a spread about the cheerleading team. Kim was a teacher and the head cheerleading coach. Oh my goodness, I was terrified of our interview. I had never talked to her before and wasn't sure what to expect. Needless to say, with my shaky voice, I got the quotes I needed and ended the interview pretty quickly.
Fast forward to January 2010. I decided it was time for me to get involved with a Summit small group. I had been back in town for six months and was really feeling a void from not having consistent ladies fellowship. I walked into small group and gasp... the first person I saw was Miss Collins!!! I leaned over to the leader and asked if that was really Miss Collins. She said, "Well you can call her Kim now."
I quickly learned that Kim is not at all like the teacher I was scared of in high school. When I get around church people, it's easy to slip into saying religious words like sanctification and acting pious. Kim's not like that. She is blunt, real, and doesn't pretend to be someone she's not. There's no act when it comes to her. It's like a breath of fresh air. She makes all new-comers to the group feel welcome and comfortable because she brings us back to who we really are: sinners who have been given grace. Plus, she is easily one of the most sarcastic and funny girls I've ever met. Seriously, she and Paige are dangerous if they sit together in small group.
Being that she taught English, Kim shows me things in the Bible that I didn't know or realize. Not only does she correct our grammar and pronunciation of words (sorry for all my grammar mistakes in this post), she points out the significance of word choices in verses. It's something that I really enjoy. Kim also does some of the most fantastic first lessons. She'll give us background of the book of the Bible we're about ready to study along with a brief geography lesson. I request she does the first lesson of each new study because I feel like I have such a greater understanding of the book because I've learned about the characters, purpose, and audience.
I'm glad that Kim gets to be a part of our day by reading a passage that is important to Brett and me. So thankful for you Miss Collins!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment