This post would be called "An Unlikely Friendship" if I didn't follow the template I used for the other bridesmaids. I saved Paige for last on purpose. I knew this post would take the most energy to write because I would have to dig into suppressed memories. Paige and I had a complicated friendship. I say had because we have a normal friendship now. What made our friendship complicated was how it started. Look at the picture at the right. Paige was wearing that the first time I was around her (pictures via Paige). Yes ladies and gents, that's an Elon jersey.Now if you know me, you know what emotions seeing that jersey brings up in me: anger, regret, disbelief, sadness. The list can go on. You see, I played against Paige in the game-to-go (to Regionals) my senior year in college. My team, the Black Pearl, was up 12-7. It was my last college sectionals game, and we just needed 1 point to advance. That's it. Then Elon scored. And scored again. And again. By the time I needed to call a time-out, the cap was on, meaning I couldn't. We couldn't regroup. The wind picked up. Being a young team, we struggled. I didn't sub people out like I should have (I was the co-captain). We were on universe point. My last college game ever, and we just needed to get 1 point in order for my college season not to end. To no avail, Elon scored, going on a 6-0 run to advance to Regionals. Paige was on the team that left such a bitter taste in my mouth. It pains me to write this. I wish I could have done things differently.
I NEVER, in a million years, would have thought that one of my bridesmaids would be one of the people from that Elon team. Guess God has different plans for us sometimes. Paige came to small group. Being the nosy person I am, I stalked her on Facebook to learn a little more about her. I wanted to figure out what she would add to the group. At the time, I didn't realize she was on that Elon team (I tried to block out everything from that game). I saw a title on a FB album about sectionals at Elon. Low and behold, this was the description of the album:
oh right. remember that time when we came back from 12-7 to win on a universe point? ...I kid you not, my mouth dropped. Was I really going to have to be nice to a girl who I played against in a game where there were fights breaking out? Was God really expecting me to share my struggles with this girl? No way was He asking me to do that. It hit too close to home, too close to bitterness I wasn't ready to let go of. I felt shame, remembering how I acted during that game, and wondering if she would question my sincerity at small group. My actions during that game in no way reflected that I was a Christian.
When I told Paige about my finding, she had a nice kick out of it. I had to relive that game again, but then we moved on. Yes I still have some bitterness (obviously if you read any of the words above), but I don't hold it against her. I think it's more of a funny story now that I tell it.
Boy, am I glad God brought Paige into my life when He did. There were things that happened (things that didn't include Brett at all) that made me question marriage. Paigey quickly became the main person to whom I voiced my fears during my dating relationship with Brett. She was there for me through the whole process, reminding me of what the Bible says about marriage, listening to me saying the same fears over and over while encouraging me at the same time to believe in the truth of God's Word. Honestly, she is one of the reasons I was able to regain trust in God's design for marriage after the events that happened. I am so thankful for her patience with me and the Godly encouragement she gave me.
Paige is recently married and has been a completely open book when it comes to questions about the joys and difficulties of marriage. She is real with me. She probably one of the most upfront, not-going-to-sugar-coat-it friends I have. Everyone needs a Paige in their life. I cannot explain how much she means to me and how she has positively affected my and Brett's future marriage. I am so thankful for you Paigey. Love you. Mean it.

No comments:
Post a Comment