Sunday, June 3, 2012

Way to Go Pack!

Not that Wolfpack silly reader :) I'm talking about Whiteville High School Wolfpack.  Brett's cousin Justin played in the NCHSAA 2A Baseball State Championship this weekend.  Since Brett was in town, we decided to go to Five County Stadium to watch Game 2.  Whiteville had won Game 1 so there was the potential that this would be the last game of the series.  We weren't going to miss it.

My soon-to-be Aunt Phyllis saved us great seats behind home plate.  It was actually a little chilly because we were in the shade, and there was a breeze.  I'm glad Aunt Phyllis brought a blanket.  Justin played a fantastic game.  He hit a seed out to right field, and ended up scoring after some great base-running by the whole team.  He caught two fly balls while playing right field, one of which was pretty impressive. 

Whiteville ended up winning 3-1.  It actually made me a little teary-eyed to see these young men accomplish something so special.  They will never forget this the rest of their life.  Plus, it was Justin's last high school game. Can't think of a better way to end your high school career.

I looked at Brett a couple of times and saw the flood of emotions coming over his face too.  You see, in 2004, Brett was part of the West Brunswick High School team that won the 3A State Championship.  I knew he was thinking about that time.  It's by far his most treasured sports memory.  That almost broke open the floodgates from my eyes but I kept it in check.  I know, I'm astonished too.

I'm glad I got the chance to share this moment with my soon-to-be family.  I loved being there and being able to support Justin, Phyllis, and Ed (we missed you Brittany).  Congratulations Justin and the Whiteville Wolfpack!


 

1 comment: