I know what you're thinking. What in the world is Sara talking about? I have a guilty pleasure: I enjoy watching Khloé and Lamar. One of the last episodes from last season was about Rob Kardashian's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Rob was going through a situation with moving and work that seemed to have made his OCD escalate. Because of Khloé's persistence, he called a doctor, who told him that stress worsens OCD.
I have some mild OCD. Every night before I go to bed, I stand on my top stair with my right foot, turn on my stair light, put my left foot on my landing and step down (right foot is still in place), check to see if my door is locked and latched, step back up on my right foot, and turn off my light. I repeat it two more times. I can't go to sleep if I don't do it three times.
The past two months, I have noticed this getting worse. I will repeat up to 10 times some nights. It's exhausting. After watching the Khloé and Lamar episode, it all makes more sense. My stress level has been much, much higher with packing and preparing for the wedding. I did a little research of my own and every site I looked at says that stress heightens OCD symptoms.
Thankfully, this week it has lowered to only once or twice a night. The apartment is mostly packed aside from some kitchen stuff. I'm to the point that I can't do much else for the wedding. I'm trying to enjoy the last couple of days before marrying Mr. Hickman.
2 days!!
Ahhh, so close! So exciting!
ReplyDeleteSara,
ReplyDeleteWe don't know each other.... I started following your pinboards on Pinterest as my own wedding approached (my husband and I married in March of this year). I just want to take a minute to encourage you and exhort you.
1) Lean on the Lord for strength. You can't do this without Him... WITH Him, all things are possible.
2) The details really will take care of themselves. I promise!
3) Focus more than anything on the big picture these last couple of days. Weddings are simply a ceremony.... a "doorpost" as one person worded it; Marriage is orchestrated and ordained of God. The wedding day is precious, but remember that when all is said and done that the marriage is the legacy. People will frankly not remember the tiny details more than just a few days after the wedding, but a strong, Christ-centered, Gospel-showing marriage can impact souls.
4) Remember.... God is great in faithfulness. Trust Him first and foremost and He will take care of the things that concern you. :) (Lamentations 3 - "Great is Thy Faithfulness" and "His mercies are new every morning!")
5) Be of good cheer! Rejoice in the Lord! And in the blessing of marriage that He's giving to you! :)
6) Enjoy the day. Do not let stress take any hold. This is the most joyful day you'll ever experience and it does fly by! Soak it in. :)
Blessings!! :)
Laurel West
This is the LORD'S doing; it is marvellous in our eyes. [Ps. 118:23]
But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more. [Ps. 71:14]
Sorry for such a late response Laurel! I so appreciate your advice. I read it the day before my wedding and definitely took all of what you said to heart. Receiving verses is so encouraging to me so it put my nerves at ease. Thanks again!! Hope you're enjoying married life :)
ReplyDelete