Monday, October 3, 2011

So it Begins: Football Season

It's been a while since I have blogged.  I've started traveling every other weekend to Greenville, SC to see Brett's home games. I absolutely love going to his football games.  He likes me to get to the office a couple of hours before the game starts.  I'm not sure why he likes it, but I'm glad I go early because I enjoy seeing him in his element and getting to meet some of the players.  It's so weird to drive up to the stadium three hours before the game starts and not see anyone tailgating.  Definitely a different atmosphere than at ECU. 

Three weeks ago, NGU had their first home game against Tusculum.  Brett's mom, dad, and brother drove up from home/ECU to see the game.  I love sitting next to Brett's brother Sam at the games.  He is the ultimate fan.  Actually, everyone in Brett's family are good fans.  I guess that comes with growing up around the field.  NGU ended up winning 27-7.

Brett with his guys (inside linebackers) before the game.
Three of the Hickman fellas.
Victory!!
This past weekend, I went down again for the Lenoir-Rhyne game.  I knew the game would be a tough one.  NGU lost by I think 1 last year. LR runs the triple option which is extremely hard to defend.  It was a really competitive game.  I wasn't sure if I was shaking because it was around 40 degrees or if I was shaking because of the anxiety.  That's one thing about dating a coach.  You have so much invested in the outcome of the game.

NGU dominated the game. Defense was flying all over the field, but LR capitalized on a couple of turnovers.  I'm telling you, the defense was stellar.  Those guys were so disciplined.  Brett, Lanier, Chad and the rest of the defensive staff really coached them well.  The defense ended up holding LR to 100 yards of rushing, which is not much at all for a team that runs the triple option.  NGU won 35-27!  That made for a super happy Brett, which makes me so happy.

Overall, it's been a great couple of weeks.  I really enjoy football season, aside from not seeing Brett often.  Hope you have had a great past couple of weeks!

The team getting hyped before the game. Love this.
Brett running some drills with his guys
Lanier, Brett, and Chad
Chad's little boy Jack. So cute.
So proud of him and his guys.

2 comments:

  1. so, when you say you're going to greenville, is that NC or SC? i've been assuming all along its SC but now i'm not so sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie! Yes it is Greenville, SC. Maybe it'll be Greenville, NC someday. That would mean he's coaching for the Pirates :)

    ReplyDelete