Sunday, October 30, 2011

He asked. I said yes.

So, I'll try not to ramble but I haven't had much time to process today so it may be a little bit of stream of consciousness.  Talking through things helps me process.  Just ask Paige if you know her.  She'll definitely agree that I like to talk things through.

I have been getting a feeling that Brett would be asking me to marry him in the near future.  I thought about it so often that I think I stressed myself out and even had dreams of him getting me the wrong ring (I tried on the ring he picked out back in June or July).  I'm not proud to say this, but four weeks ago, I even looked for it when I was cleaning his apartment.  Luckily, I didn't find it.  That would have ruined the surprise.

Brett had mentioned Thursday that the leaves were beautiful up where he lives and that he wanted to take a drive up to Asheville on Friday morning to look at the scenery.  He texted me early Friday morning and told me that is was too dreary to drive up there.  I told him that we could go on Sunday if he wanted, since I know that driving relaxes him. He said that it would depend on how the game went on Saturday (welcome to the life of a football coach's wife).  Little did I know that he drove up there on Friday morning to make sure he knew where we would be going on Sunday.

Brett was in great spirits after a NGU win, Outback steak, and Clemson loss Saturday night.  We talked about a bunch of things, including him telling me that he actually asked my dad back in July for his approval.  Well this came to my surprise because two weeks ago, he said that he hadn't talked to my dad yet.  Little sneaker.  This put me at ease because I respect my dad's opinion so much.  I think he was given the gift of discernment.  It meant a lot to me that he got my dad's approval, since my dad is a great judge of character.

We decided Saturday night to go to the Blue Ridge Parkway on Sunday. It's the most spontaneous we've ever been.  Needless to say, I was sort of restless Saturday night because I thought he would be asking me soon.  I got up on Sunday and put on something cute because I thought something would be happening.  We met Brett's parents for breakfast and then started the drive.

We talked a lot more, telling stories we hadn't heard before.  We even sang along to some worship songs.  It was a very unique worship experience: seeing God's beautiful creation while driving.  I hate driving so combining worship with it was out of the ordinary for me.

We passed a power plant, which I rambled on and on about.  I work with a lot of power plants for my job so I'm always fascinated when I see one, wondering if it's one that I've worked on before.  Brett said it was so unattractive.  We pulled up to one overlook and took a couple of pictures.

See the power plant way in the distance!
He was just my boyfriend at his point.
Look at the background. Amazing.

He pulled up to the next one called "Bad Fork Valley Overlook" (seriously who comes up with these names?).  I could tell he was thinking something because his breathing was a little different, he had his hands in his pocket, and he had some nervous energy.

He pulled me to him and asked me, "What would you say if I asked you to marry me right now?"  I responded with a classic Sara response:  "I don't know."  He turned me to face him and pulled the ring out of his pocket and got down on one knee.  He said, "I love you Sara Gail Veale.  Will you marry me?"  I said YES! and stood there holding my camera.  He said, "Well you've got to give me your hand so I can put the ring on it."

A couple that we didn't know drove up right after he put the ring on my finger.  Brett told him we just got engaged (his wife started smiling really big) and asked if he would take our picture.  I think it's my favorite picture of us ever!  We took a couple more pictures then drove a little longer.  I was in complete shock.  I knew it was coming but it still was surreal.  Boy were my hands shaking.

The future Mr. and Mrs. Michael Brett Hickman.
This place will always mean something to us now.
BLING BLING!

I tried to call my parents, knowing that they would be in church.  I thought maybe if I called them enough they would pick up.  I was wrong.  While I waited, I was able to talk to my brother in Montana and a couple of my close friends.  I FINALLY got a hold of my parents 20 minutes later to celebrate with them.  Then I made the post on Facebook.  You know if it's not on Facebook, it isn't official :)

I am very excited to become part of the "Football Wives Club" and to be a Hickman.  Sara Hickman has a nice sound to it.  I'm even more excited to be able to join Brett in his ministry and to be a support wife while he reaches out to his players. 

5 comments:

  1. so fun to read, sara!!! excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Debbie. Really want to get together with everyone soon. I miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats again! A word of advice coming from a coaches wife- you make sure that brett never brings his work home. When he comes home, that is his time with you. Get ready for the ride :) It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS- It is possible :) It is very rare in the Chadwell household

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, I guess you mentioned it to Brett bc he asked Jamey about it! lol

    ReplyDelete