Sunday, April 28, 2013

Our Smooth Move

As you may have read, Brett is now coaching at Gardner Webb University.  This was my first moving experience as a coach's wife.  I honestly did not realize how fast things move when your husband works in the college coaching profession.

Brett heard from Coach McCray on January 26th (a Saturday) that he was taking the head coaching position at Gardner Webb, his alma mater.  Coach McCray offered Brett a position there to be special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach.  Over a sleepless night and lots of prayer, he accepted the position at GWU. 

We had to keep it silent for what seems like eternity even though it was only a couple of days.  I told Megan, my best friend, about our move the Wednesday after Brett accepted the position.  Her friend Downey actually lives near the school.  Megan gave me Downey's email address, and we got in contact.  I had looked online at the rental market around the school, but there were hardly any listed.  I asked Downey if she knew of any realtors, and she said that one of her childhood best friends is a realtor.

I contacted Melissa, the realtor on Thursday.  Within a couple of hours, she had sent me multiple listings for rental and for sale.  Given the prices of the rentals, we decided to buy.  We found a couple that we liked. We got pre-qualified during one phone call, and went to look at houses a week after Brett told Coach McCray he would go with him.

Downey jokingly sent me a text saying the house next to her was for sale, not knowing that was one of the houses I had selected for Melissa to show us.  We LOVED the house next to Downey's.  We prayed about it and decided to put an offer on the house the day after we saw it, on Sunday.  The sellers countered our offer.  We went back with a little bit of a higher offer, to which they countered again.  By Monday night, we got a counter that we all could agree on.

One condition of the offer settlement was that we pay for repairs.  We got the house inspected, and there were a couple of issues (none of which were back-out-of-the-contract issues).  The sellers asked for the inspection report, and ended up paying for most of the problems! Praise God!  With our trip to Montana and knowing Brett was having surgery at the end of February, we knew our wallet would be a little thin.

Our realtor was AMAZING!  She was so attentive, very responsive, and understood our situation.  We closed Mach 18th on the house.  Melissa even left us a housewarming present that day.  I was able to move some things over during the week.  My parents drove up on Friday to help with moving, and Brett's parents came Saturday to help.  We were able to get a lot moved before we rented the moving van.  Thankfully, six of Brett's players and coaching friends helped us move from our third floor apartment.  Four of his GWU players helped with furniture at the house.  This is when I am very glad that Brett coaches football. 

It is amazing that three weeks before we bought our house, we had no inkling that we would be moving. We saw God's hand throughout the whole process.  From Megan knowing Downey to Downey's friend being a realtor to her neighbor's house being on sale, God made our path clear to us.  We are so thankful for His direction in what could have been a very confusing time, especially for me.

Being married to a college football coach is a whirlwind, but I'm glad I don't have to do it alone.

Our beautiful house
Homeowners!
Our sweet gift from Melissa
The infamous purple/pink room
Dad is a rockstar and painted the room in a couple hours.
First dinner in our house. Reminds me of all the times I moved as a kid.
Yogi with his new hat
So glad these NGU players/coaches helped us move out.
My parents are amazing. Forgive how rough we look.  It was a long weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment