Sunday, May 20, 2012

I'm Marrying a Local Celebrity

I joke with Brett all the time that I feel like I'm marrying a local celebrity.  His dad was the high school football coach for quite a few years, and his mom is the local sweet southern woman.  Brett and his brothers grew up at the fields.  Everyone knows the Hickmans.  His family is so well liked in Ocean Isle/Shallotte. 

This weekend, we had two wedding parties in the beach area: one thrown by Gail's closest friends and another hosted by Brett's aunts and uncles at Lake Waccamaw.  It would be my family's first time meeting most of his family so I was a bit anxious, but after some affirmation from Brett, I knew they would get along just fine. 

We met Brett's family at Sharky's, which was probably less than a mile from our condo.  You know a place is good when it's a packed house.

Gail was sweet enough to find us an oceanfront condo to stay for the weekend.  Oba loves the ocean so it would be perfect to ease some of her anxiety of meeting new people.


Saturday was a slow morning.  We had to be at Brett's parents by 12:30 in order to get to the first wedding shower.  Gail's friends had reserved the members' clubhouse at River's Edge, an Arnold Palmer signature golf course.  It was absolutely beautiful.  The women threw us a tailgating shower, with everything from wings to lots of different dips.  The ladies had college memorabilia from UNC, State, Clemson, App State, Wake Forest, and IU.  To top it all off, Megan and Jessica were even able to make it.  I have the best bridesmaids.



Here's a photo collage from the afternoon.  I loved being able to meet all of Brett's wonderful family friends.



We left with tons of wonderful gifts, and lots of well wishes.  I went back to the condo to relax some before we headed to Lake Waccamaw.  Brett's aunt and uncles threw us a Key West party.  We had shrimp (YUM) and lots of dips.  Excellent food again.






(Before I go on, please look at how cute Maggie is in that picture at the table.  I love it!) I absolutely love his family.  I've never been around another family that was as close as mine.  I feel blessed to be marrying into a family like his.  Aunt Joann went around the group and started saying how many years all the couples had been married.  Most of the couples had been married for more than 30 years!  I have learned recently how important it is to have examples of solid marriages around us.  I am thankful that Brett and I grew up around such committed couples.

All in all, it was a fantastic weekend.  I am so excited that our families got along.  The only bad part was I didn't get to spend much time with Brett.  I won't see him for another two weeks.  But at least that is the last two weeks we have to go without seeing each other.  27 days til the wedding!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness at that picture, your dad said "finally, I got you without your hand on your hip." hahaha. Your family is just as awesome as you are Sara, I am so glad I got to meet them. Only a few more weeks until you're a Hickman, I am getting so excited!

    ReplyDelete