Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Wedding Update: Good Eats

Wow three days in a row of wedding updates.  Makes it sound like I have so much done. This is the last of my favorite things from two posts ago: food. So if you don't know, I LOVE good food.  I think it's one reason I love watching the Food Network; I get to enjoy the food without consuming any of the calories. 

For our wedding, Brett and I want a relaxed atmosphere where people can mingle and not have to sit next to someone they don't know and wait for the next course (plus we won't have to worry about seating charts or the cost of printing individual menu, escort and place cards).   We also love southern food.  My favorite is BBQ, and he loves shrimp and grits. 

If you read my venue and date post, you might remember me mentioning that Mom met a caterer at the Oaks who served the food we want.  His name is Austin, and he is the owner of Cook Shack Catering.  When we met with Priscilla, our wedding coordinator, she said she just worked a wedding with Austin. He was wonderful, and the food was great. Her bride even found a recipe the week before the wedding and told Austin.  He whipped it up within a week, and apparently it was fantastic.

I was able to meet Austin at the Oaks Open House on Sunday and try his food.   His BBQ and shrimp and grits were ah-mazing! Seriously could have sat there and eaten the whole pig (yes he had a whole pig that we got to pull apart). Like the rest of my vendors, he has such a warm personality.  He told me that Brett and I can come into the kitchen sometime, and he could cook up a bunch of different types of shrimp and grits based on how Brett likes them.  If Brett doesn't like it, he'll go back and fix it another way.  I'm secretly really looking forward to when we do this.

One thing really stuck out to me from our conversation.  I hadn't asked him about the price of hors d'oeuvres until that night. He responded that the wedding day is all about me and Brett, and they already make most of their money on the meal itself.  Because of that, they don't charge much extra for the hors d'oeuvres.  I've checked out many other caterers who jack up the price of hors d'oeuvres in order to make that much more money.  Cook Shack Catering doesn't do that, which I really appreciate, especially considering how large our wedding might possibly be.

Like my previous two vendor meetings, I booked him, and Mom paid the deposit while we stood there eating.  I still can't get over how everything seems to be falling into place.  Feeling God's provision every step of the way so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment