Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Lessons Learned: Feeding the Running Backs

Last Thursday, I cooked for Brett's seven running backs.  This was my second time cooking for Brett's players this season.  To be honest, I wish I could cook for them every week, but cooking for between 7-12 active college men can get a little pricey.  They definitely don't eat a "normal" amount of food.

Brett and I decided to cook tacos this time.  My chicken tacos were a hit at NGU so I decided to make 8 chicken breasts and 2 pounds of beef.  We bought 30 hard tacos and 16 soft tacos.  The taco bar included black beans, re-fried beans, Mexican rice, diced tomatoes, cheese, and salsa.  We also bought a bunch of bottled water. 

Throughout the night, I learned how this group of players was different than the crew at NGU.  First of all, they love soft tacos; and I ran out of beef in a hot minute.  Next time, I'll probably cook 6 chicken breasts and 4 pounds of beef.  One jar of cheese was definitely not enough, but one jar of salsa was plenty.

I also experienced first hand something that KaShanda told me earlier this year.  One of the running backs asked me if I had any juice.  Initially, I said no, but then I remembered I had Kool-Aid packets.  When I said that, everyone's ears perked up.  The guys unanimously picked grape Kool-Aid. 

Now, I should let you know that my family is from the Midwest.  We don't put much sugar in our Kool-Aid or tea up there.  Growing up, my mom would always put 3/4 cup of sugar. for one packet of Kool-Aid.  I did that for this group of guys, and had one of them do a taste test.  Immediately, he told me there wasn't enough sugar.  I ended up using 1.5 cups of sugar to one packet of Kool-Aid!!! The Kool-Aid was gone after everyone got their first glass.  I'll definitely have to remember that for future times.  It is so much cheaper than bottled water. 

There were many things that made my heart smile that night.  I love to see Brett interact with his players.  The guys also have great chemistry with each other.  Their laughs filled our home; it was pretty contagious.  I love being able to serve them, and let them get a little taste of home away from home.  Although Brett's and my marriage isn't perfect, we enjoy being able to show his players what a Godly marriage should look like.  I respect and serve my husband, and he loves me as he loves himself (Ephesians 5:33).

Brett, Juanne, and Rod.
Zamarie, Brett, Juanne, J.J., Josh, Rod, Earnest, and Dom

No comments:

Post a Comment