Sunday, December 30, 2012

Happy Engagement

As you may know, Maggie and Sam (Brett's younger brother) got engaged in the middle of November.  Christmas was the first time both extended families have been in town so Maggie's family hosted an engagement party, an oyster roast.

Oh my goodness, I have never felt so southern in my life.  There were so many foods I have never tried before.  I had collards, chicken bog, rutabagas/turnips, and black eyed peas. Maggie's family is in the restaurant business so I shouldn't have been surprised that all the food was wonderful. Her grandma makes the best cornbread I've ever had, and the homemade apple pie and ice cream was out of this world.  Maggie's grandparents live on the river so they harvested the oysters themselves.  They had pans and pans of them.  There were even some left over, which was amazing given that about 30 people were there.

I really enjoyed meeting her family.  Everyone was so nice and warm.  You really feel like you've known them for years.  I think that's a testament to how wonderful her family is.  They have taken Sam in as one of their own, as we have with Maggie.  We can't wait to have Maggie as part of the family!


No comments:

Post a Comment