Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Happy Birthday Yogi!

Today is my father-in-love's birthday!  I see birthdays as a time to give the respect due to an individual and to shine light on their positive impact on my life.  I absolutely love birthdays so now that I'm married, I get to celebrate even more family birthdays.  Yogi's is the first birthday on the Hickman side since we've been married.

Let me tell you about my first experience with Yogi.  The first time I met Brett's family was in April 2010 at a beach house in Holden Beach.  He was sitting there talking to me, and I guess I had a confused look on my face.  Brett looked at Yogi and told him I couldn't understand him.  I will never forget Yogi's response: he looked me straight in the eyes and said, "Well, listen harder."  That response scared me, considering it was the first time I've met him.  However, over the couple of years of getting to know him and now being in his family, his forthright-fullness (if that's a word) is endearing.

Yogi would do anything for his family.  He stands up for what is right in a non-judgemental way, which is very admirable.  He is wise and his presence commands respect; I think that's partly the coaching aura he has about him.  I can see why the guys he has coached over the years are still in contact with him.  He has impacted so many lives, especially Brett's.  Brett would not be who he is today without the influence of his father.  I am so grateful for Yogi and the attention he gave to his sons' endeavors growing up despite his busy schedule.  He is loyal and loving.  I see so much of him in Brett.

Happy birthday Yogi!!! I am so happy to be part of your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment