We had the first NGU home game two weekends ago. Coach McCray's wife Angel decided we should have a tailgate to kick off the home schedule. I wasn't planning on going but since Oba was in the hospital, my family didn't come. Yogi, Gail, and I decided we would join in the fun.
Now this was the first time I've been around older sons of coaches. Coach McCray's nephew Matt (a college football coach's son) and Kenny's boys came to the tailgate. Kenny's oldest Keenan, around 9 years old, and Matt spent much of the tailgate throwing the football.
One of the boys even said, "Let's run the play action pass," and proceeded to describe what the other should do. It was then that I really realized how much of an advantage coaches' sons have when it comes to football knowledge. It may not have been the exact right description, but how many 9-year-olds would even put those words together? Brett is the same way. From the stories I've heard, he was out there coaching up the guys before he could run (exaggeration of course).
The sons also take the losses so much harder than any other boys. Tre, Quanza and Issac's oldest, and Keenan really take it tough. The younger sons like Isaiah and Kendall are just happy to see their dads and to run around on the field after the game. I think the recognition of wins and losses will come with time through. I can't wait to see our son on the field and hear Brett talking with him about football, if the Lord blesses us with one someday. For many of coaches' sons, football is in their blood; whether in the form of X's and O's or writing about it.
Anyway, here are some more pictures of the tailgate. Hope you enjoy!
| How adorable is Mallory (Angel's niece)? |
| Isaiah trying to tackle Mr. Coach Hateman. |
| She is going to be a great obstetrician. |
No comments:
Post a Comment