Thursday, September 20, 2012

Necessities


A couple days ago before going to sleep, I found out we were under a tornado watch. Now, one of the sins I struggle with is worry/anxiety.  Given that I had no way of figuring out if the watch would turn into a warning while sleeping, I was dozed off and on until 3 a.m., at which point I checked my weather app and saw that we were no longer under a tornado watch.

While I was struggling to fall asleep, I thought about which room we be most safe in if a tornado were to come; it would probably be the master bath or the guest bath, although the master bath is more in the middle of the building.  That spurred the thought process of what I would bring with me so that I could "save" it.  What were my most valuable possessions?  Here was the list I came up with:
  • My Bible.  I know it's easy to get another one but my primary Bible was from my parents on my 21st birthday and has my full maiden name engraved on it.
  • My laptop and external hard drive.  I have to save all the thousands of pictures I've taken over the years.
  • My phone and charger.  We probably wouldn't have electricity if a tornado actually came through but it would come in use later.  The phone is to make sure everyone knows we're ok.  Funny that I don't have anyone's phone number memorized now that they are stored on the phone and not in an actual address book.
  • Water and munchies. I think food and water are pretty obvious necessities.
  • Glow sticks/matches/candles.  My dad gave me a whole bunch of glow stick which may be better in this situation.
This is the list I came up with.  I think it sort of shows where my priorities lie.  I am wayyyyy too technology dependent.  I also realize that most of what I have isn't a necessity when it really comes down to it. What are your necessities?  What does your list say about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment