Monday, April 16, 2012

Last Football Event as an "Unofficial" Member

This weekend was my last weekend traveling to Greenville before the wedding. Thank the Lord!!! If you know me at all, you know I really don't like that drive.  I'm excited that I won't have to be making it quite as often (Yes Mom and Dad, I'll still be driving that drive to visit you and come to work every now and then).

Anyway, NGU had its spring game this weekend.  It wasn't a typical spring game like ECU or UNC might have; it was just offense vs. defense for about an hour with no running score.  The defense was swarming, but the wide receivers made some incredible catches.  It was hard to gauge the offense or defense because they have practiced against each other for weeks.  It'll be fun to see how the Crusaders play against other teams this year.

Brett warming up his linebackers
Issac with his guys before the game
Black swarm
Coach McCray talking to the guys after the game.

Another thing that I was excited about was I knew I would be able to meet the football wives and kids.  Like I've said before, the football staff and their families are like a fraternity.  I have a feeling the wives are going to be a great support system for me as I make this transition with moving and becoming a football wife.

Coach McCray's wife Angel is so incredibly warm.  I can tell she'll be able to help me if I have any questions or struggles with the transition. She's been a football wife for a while so she's going to have some great insight and advice.  I met La'Donte's wife Britney at the last spring practice. She is so sweet.  They're expecting their first baby (a girl) four days before our wedding!  I didn't get to talk to Kenny's wife Kashanda much but I can tell I'm going to like her sense of humor.  Brett's wife Elise seems like a Southern sweetheart, plus I love her style (from the little I saw). Maybe she can give me some fashion advice.  Rocco's wife Melissa wasn't there. I think Brett said his little girl was sick so she had to stay home.  Lastly, there's Issac's wife Quanza.  I think I spent the most time with her because we shared a car ride Saturday night.  She is a wonderful mother, has a warm, infectious laugh, and just seems "cool."  Brett knew Issac before this year so I think we'll be seeing a lot of each other outside of football.

Now to the kids.  There will be eight kids in total with this staff.  Issac's kids were the only ones that were there, but boy, were they fun.  His four children Sydnei, Tre, CJ, and Isaiah are some of the sweetest, most adorable children I've seen.  I can tell Sydnei and I are going to get along.  We've shared some of the same issues: moving during middle school and the fear of making friends because we're both shy.  I can already tell Tre and CJ are going to be great little athletes. Tre already has a spiral on the football when he throws it.  CJ has some great hands for catching Tre's throws. And lastly, Isaiah. Oh my goodness I could just eat him and his little dimples up.  And his belly laugh makes me smile.  I cannot wait to meet the rest of the kids!

Tre
After the spring game, NGU served everyone hot dogs and hamburgers and then we watched them hand out awards to the 2011 football team.  They handed out individual awards and then handed out medallions that the NCAA provided for competing in the DII playoffs.

Dukes had his hands full with food so Brett kept his award until he was done.
One last time: the 2011 team
After the game, Brett and I went to sign a lease for an apartment!! We got a 3-bedroom with a sunroom.  The sunroom will give us more space when we have the players over.  We'll make one bedroom an office and we'll have one guest room for anyone who wants to visit us.  I know plenty of people will ;)

We had a counseling session with Brian Spearman on Sunday.  He gave us a book called When Couple Walk Together.  It's a 31 day devotional that Brian said he and his wife (who have been married almost 10 years) still come back to every once in a while.  I'm excited to go through this with Brett as we are about to start our lives together.  2 months from today!!

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I have nominated you for the versatile blogger award :)

    I'm your newest follower! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete