My parents, Oba, and I went to see Chris out in Billings, Montana last week. He is working at the Billings Clinic in the Radiation Oncology Department and is really enjoying it. Our flight left at 6:30 on Thursday morning. It as one of the worst flights I've ever had, as we went over some horrible weather on the way to Minneapolis. The Billings airport is actually located on the "Rims" and then you drive down the side to get to the town. Chris told us prior to coming up that we should think about what the world was like 20 years ago because that is what Montana is like today. Boy was he right.
We were able to relax the day we got there. Chris had the next day off so he took us to Red Lodge, the closest ski resort. He wanted to go see East Rosebud Lake first, a site he's hasn't seen before. We tried to drive there but we ended up going on some dirt road through Switchback Ranch. Switchback Ranch is one of the largest cattle ranging operations in the Northern Rockies, running 2,000 animals over approximately 160,000 acres! I was in awe of the scenery, Dad was having a heyday taking pictures of all the deer, and we even saw a fox! Here are a couple of pictures on the way to Red Lodge.
 |
| Dad likes to say that this looks like a post card. |
 |
| Amazing. It almost looks fake. |
 |
| I really love this picture of my parents. |
 |
| Me and the bro. |
 |
| Us with Oba. |
 |
| Yes Oba is using a peace sign. |
 |
| This doe was within a couple of arms length from us. |
 |
| Some of Switchback Ranch. Notice the dirt road. I'm glad Chris has a truck. |
Once we got to Red Lodge, we ate at a Mexican restaurant (which apparently is pretty popular in Montana) and went to a candy story. Oba was right at home in that candy store. She would have bought everything if she could.
 |
| Yes, those are all baskets full of candy. |
 |
| Using my aperture on the camera. |
 |
| That sign fits Dad so well. Haha. |
We drove to Beartooth's Pass after lunch and some souvenir shopping.
Beartooth's Highway is one of the most scenic drives in the United States. We were only allowed to go 12 miles before we reached the barricade because of the snow. During the winter, they move the barricade closer and closer to Red Lodge.
 |
| Parents at the barricade. |
 |
| My favorite picture from the trip. Gorgeous background. |
|
|
|
 |
| Part of the Beartooth Highway. |
We drove home afterwards, after about a total of about five hours of riding in Chris' truck. Everyone took naps. Actually, I took a nap five of the six days of the vacation. It reminded me of college. I woke up on Saturday to snow! It snowed all day Saturday. Oba was happy, yet hesitant, having the snow around. We went to Chris work and then Cabelas, one of Dad's favorite stores.
 |
| Snow!! |
We celebrated Chris' 27th birthday with take out Outback! So glad I was there for his birthday. All in all, we had a fantastic trip. I'm looking forward to the next time we can travel up there.
No comments:
Post a Comment