Thursday, July 21, 2011

Spiritual Munchies: Fighting Tempation


I shared this with my small group, but I just wanted to write about it on here because it’s something I think people (including myself) forget about in the busyness of life.  

I've been learning about God's Word in my devotional with Brett, and I found a topic that really stuck out to me like it never has before.  I know a lot of times I question whether I can get through a temptation or a struggle with sin.  Sometimes it seems like there’s no way out.  It's just too hard or we're too deep in the sin to turn around.  I think two passages in the Bible demonstrate how we can overcome these temptations.

The first is Matthew 4:1-11.  These verses deal with Jesus being tempted in the desert by Satan. Each time Satan tempts Jesus, Jesus always says "it is written."  He quotes Scripture to fight Satan.  If  we believe the Bible is truth (which I do), we should really use it to proclaim truth over our emotions, thoughts, or temptations.  Proclaim means "to announce or declare in an official or formal manner."  Sisters, we need to declare God's truth just like Jesus did when he said, "It is written."  Ok, done with my Beth Moore moment.

The second is Psalm 119:11:  "I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you."  I've read this verse so many times over the course of my life, but it meant something different this time.   That’s one of the things I love about God’s Word: His Word is living and active (Hebrews 4:12).  Anyway, the reason the author hid God's Word in his heart is so that he could refuse sin.  This means he relied on God's Word and the truth in it in order to combat temptation.

Given these two passages (and probably many more) I think there is no question as to how we can resist sin and turn the other way: know His Word.  That's why being in God's Word and memorizing Scripture is so important.  When we start feeling tempted, we can declare truth over the situation, just like Jesus did.  

Some people question whether God speaks now.  I would answer, “Ummmmm….YES!”  It may not be audible, but He does speak through His Word.  For example, when I’m starting to feel my blood pressure go up and feel the anger rising, James 1:19-20 comes in my head: "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires."  Moments like this just confirm that He is fighting for me and providing a way out of sinning.  If we struggle with something specific, find a verse that speaks truth over that situation and memorize it.  Whenever we start feeling the desire to sin, start saying the verse.  I need to learn to declare God’s truth over the situation, instead of letting me (my emotions) talk to me.

I know it won't be easy, and it's something that I have to work through daily, but at least we can start the discipline of doing this in areas we're struggling.  I mean if Jesus does it, how much more should we be doing it?  Anyway, that's my spiritual munchie for the day.  It's something that I have and still struggle with so I thought you might find it helpful too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment