Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Goodbye 23!


Well, after a couple weeks of debating and one fun night with my small group ladies (you all are crazy but I love you), I have decided to start blogging.  I'm not sure if I have enough thoughts or interesting events in my life to make this a good read, but hey, we'll see.  I figured this would be a good time considering I'm about to start on a new year.... 24!! Man that sounds old.  That leads to the topic of my first post: my 23rd year in review.

I was able to encounter a couple of firsts:
  • My first year involved in my Summit women's small group
  • My first season as a college football coach's girlfriend
  • My first MLB game (at Yankee Stadium versus the Red Sox - AWESOME)
  • My first time playing an ultimate tournament in the snow
  • My first year living by myself
  • My first report being cited in a U.S. congressional hearing - Veritas Study
All these things have brought so much joy in my life (for the most part).  The Lord has been teaching me a lot this year about His character through my relationship with Brett and the women in my small group.  Being in a long-distance relationship is tough.  I know in any relationship, you have to communicate.  I think this is even more important in a long-distance relationship because it's all you have.  And it doesn't help the I'm not a phone person AND I'm a horrible communicator.  Brett has been a trooper with me though.  He has shown me what Gospel love looks like.  He knows so much about me: my struggles, fears, joys, and crazy antics.  Despite all of this, he still loves me.  J.D, the pastor at Summit, says the Gospel is being known more than you ever imagined, and loved more than you ever dreamed.  Brett is teaching me about this every day.  To think that his love is just a glimpse of God's love for me is mind-blowing. 

Now to my small group. Man, oh man.  I have never realized until the past couple of weeks what beauty there is in being able to be completely vulnerable with a group of women without fear of judgement.  We can ask stupid questions (yes there is such a thing) or just act like fools.  We can share our struggles and know with 100% certainty that we have each others' backs.  I am encouraged by their life stories and seeing where God has brought them from and where He is leading them to.  They bring a smile to my face with their texts of Bible verses or emails saying what God is teaching them.  Within the past year, more so than any other year, I have seen what God can teach me about Himself, myself, and how to treat others through this group.  Plus, we have so much fun together!  God is teaching me so much more about life, but that's for another post.

I guess that's a short recap.  Here are a few pictures of the highlights of my 23rd year.  So excited to see what 24 is going to bring!

The fantastic 4 at Jeremy and Mandy's wedding
Siblings at the Yankees game
My wonderful family

Kiss for the Victory Bowl Champion!

1 comment:

  1. Sara- I don't think that you will ever run out of content dating a Hickman boy! ; )
    Your first blog post was great and I look forward to reading more in the future. Good Luck! -Laura-

    ReplyDelete