Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The Inevitability of Birth

This post may not connect with any of you.  I'm not sure how many other mamas have had these thoughts before.  The past week, I have been struck by the inevitability of birth.  Don't get me wrong. I knew it was coming.  Being less than two weeks out makes it so real now.  I could honestly go into labor while writing this post.

Let me explain what I mean by the inevitability of birth.  There are so many things in life that can be put off until a later time.  I can wait another hour to eat, another week to clean the house, another month to go shopping.  Even deadlines are sometimes flexible.  Birth is not.

Even if I go past my due date, Henry will be born.  He can't stay in there forever (thank goodness).  I know this fact, it's just hitting me a little differently this week.  Part of me is counting down the days until he comes because I am getting more and more uncomfortable and the Braxton Hicks contractions are getting more intense.  The other part of me is nervous and scared by the inevitability of Henry's birth.  I know it's going to hurt. I know my body won't be the same after he's born.  My body has and will continue to go through changes.

When I get overwhelmed by the thought of the pain of labor, I try to remember this:
A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. John 16:21
Once Henry is here, everything will be worth it.  I just have to remember that through labor.

Any other mamas out there have this thought before giving birth?  How did you deal with the inevitability of birth?

No comments:

Post a Comment