Sunday, March 16, 2014

Meet Piper

Brett and I added a new addition to our family: our golden retriever Piper!  Adopting Piper has been a 4 year process.  When Sasha, my first dog, passed away on January 11, 2010, there was a huge whole in my heart.  In the month following her passing, I searched for a dog.  I almost adopted a 1 year old black lab mix, but didn't given my schedule.  That dog hole was somewhat filled once my parents brought Sierra home in February of that year.

Brett and I started dating shortly after we brought Sierra home.  Because we were in a long distance relationship, I traveled a lot.  I wouldn't have been able to give a dog a great home, with lots of attention and time.  Brett's and my first year and a half of marriage was full of tons of weddings and travel, too.  Again, getting a dog was put on the backburner.

During Brett's first recruiting trip this past recruiting season, I stayed up until 1 AM looking for a golden retriever.  The loneliness of Brett being gone so long during recruiting was really getting to me.  I longed for a dog.  The timing seemed to be right.  I spent every night that he was gone researching.  Finally, Brett and I decided on a breeder (Sure Foundation Kennels), who happened to have a 10 puppy litter that was born on January 13.  Needless to say, I was ecstatic. 

In February, Brett and I made the trip to Liberty, NC to pick out our top two choices (we were number two in line for females).  All of the puppies were adorable, but we made our top two choices: red girl and pink and green girl (the runt).  I was nervous all week while we awaited which puppy the first person picked.  With great disappointment- at the time- he picked our first choice.  I was heartbroken, but quickly focused my attention on our girl: the pink and green girl.  Brett's favorite. The runt. The fighter.  Piper.

Over the three weeks following when we picked Piper out, the breeder Jessica sent me pictures or videos almost daily.  She started calling Piper by name, which was fantastic.  I got to watch her grow.  We got to see her personality blossom.  I couldn't wait to bring her home.

On March 8th, Brett and I headed to pick up our baby.  The 2.5 hours seemed to take forever.  It was hard to contain my excitement.  We were able to meet my mom at the breeder's so she could meet her fur grandbaby.  Mom even brought Piper some treats for when she is older (already spoiling her granddog).  After we made sure Piper had gone to the bathroom, Brett and I got in the car and headed home.  I sat in the back seat with Piper, and she slept the whole way home!!!  Such a good girl.


Jessica took pictures of the puppies every week since they were 1 week old.  I figured I would continue the task of posting one summary post every week about how Piper is doing.  She will be 9 weeks tomorrow, so this is week 8 in review.

Our first week at home has been very tiring.  Piper whined every hour her first night in her crate, which is understandable given she was the runt and was without her siblings.  She's been getting better with her crate training, now only whining less than 5 minutes after we put her in, and sometimes not even whining!

Here are some of her highlights from this week:
  • She had her first vet appointment on Monday, and did so well!  She weighed in at a whopping 4.2 pounds.  The vet was fantastic with her, and Piper didn't even whine during her shots. Thanks Kelly for recommending Dr. Moseley to us!
  • She started walking on a leash.  We started by getting her used to the weight of the leash (because she's so small).  She now walks on the leash without biting it too much.
  • She's had a couple of accidents, to be expected, but she went to the door once to let me know she had to go out.  I consider that progress.
  • She learned "touch" from my dad when he stayed with her this weekend.
  • She's in the process of learning sit.  She can do it sometimes, but she gets so excited that it doesn't last long.
  • She was introduced to the brush.
  • She met and played with her best buds, Luke and James. So glad she can be introduced to children.    She does great with them so far!
  • She went in her crate for the first time by herself to take a nap. I love that she is getting comfortable with the safety of her crate. 
James telling Piper that she can get in her crate.

Well, now you've been introduced to our little love Piper. Check back here next week for week 9 in review!

No comments:

Post a Comment