Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Thank You, NGU

We're moving back to our home state! As some of you may have heard, Brett has taken a job at Gardner-Webb University, a D-1AA school in North Carolina.  It was a decision that came with much prayer, sleepless nights, and tears.

Leaving North Greenville University is bittersweet for us.  NGU has been such a blessing to both of us.  Brett and I often say that if he were in West Virginia (at a school he was planning coaching at before NGU offered him a position) we would have never started dating. 

NGU's administration and staff have been nothing short of amazing.  They have been incredibly hospitable to me through the 2 years while Brett and I were dating or engaged, and took me in as one of their own after we married.  We have so enjoyed the relationships that we built with the fans and administration.  Brett and I will greatly miss the fellowship with these incredible individuals; however, we hope and pray that this fellowship will not end with us leaving.  The relationships that Brett and I have built here are so important to us and our marriage.

Honestly, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from being a coach's wife.  My first real experience as a coach's wife is one that is so dear and close to my heart. Brett wanted to host the freshmen on July 4th since it was their first time being in summer school and away from their families.  I made the classic hot dogs and hamburgers for what I thought was going to be six players.  Well it ended up being 11. Even though they were freshmen, boy could they eat! 

It was the first time I got to see Brett interact with his players as men instead of players.  He was cutting up with them, trash talking while playing NCAA Football, and being more their friend instead of their coach.  As the players walked out the door, I was shocked when I got one hug, followed by another, and another.  I had never met these young men but they were so appreciative.  It brings tears to my eyes thinking about it.  These players at NGU are such high character young men. 

NGU, you will always hold a very, very special place in Brett's and my heart.  You are where Brett started as a coach, and us as a couple.  We love you, and wish the very best for you in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment