Today is my sweet little Asian lady's 84th birthday. I have so many fond memories that involve Oba. I remember whenever we'd go to her house, I would wash her dishes in a tub with yellow gloves and hot soapy water since she didn't have a dishwasher. I'd have to stand on a stool in order to reach the sink. True to Oba fashion, she would slip some money into my pocket. If it was cold outside and my hair was wet from my shower, I would sit in front of her old furnace in the living room to dry it. We'd draw the curtain between the living room and dining room to keep the living room warm. Oba's bed was like climbing a mountain because it was so tall. I'd often have to run and jump in order to make it. There was a little closet in the kitchen that was perfect for hide and seek. As I look back at that old house, I realize that even though it wasn't a mansion, some of my happiest memories happened there.
As my grandparents get older (84, 87, and 89 this year), I cherish these memories more and more. I realize how blessed I am to still have all my grandparents around. I learn so much from Oba, Mimi, and Pappaw. I only hope to be as strong and determined as they are.
As Oba's mind and body slips more and more to her dementia, I cling even more tightly to these memories. Despite her dementia, she still has a great sense of humor. When she visited last week, she still slipped me some money. She still walks with her head down and her hands clasped behind her back (something I realize I do more and more). She is still my little sweet Asian lady. She is still my Oba.
After a recent, scary visit to the hospital, Oba said, "God told me I give you one more chance." I'm so glad He did. I love you Oba!


No comments:
Post a Comment